Dr. William H. Copeland House (1908-09)
400 Forest Avenue

View looking east from Forest Avenue
This house was built around 1873 for William H. Harman. Dr. Copeland commissioned Wright to add a garage behind this large late-Italianate house. In 1909, Dr. Copeland retained Wright's services again to remodel the house itself.
The alterations to the exterior included the construction of an entirely new tile roof above the level of the decorative brickwork. (The tile roof was removed in the 1950's - maintaining tile roofs is very expensive.) Also, wright added the porches, and replaced the original entrance with doors, frame, sidelights and transom of his own design. Inside the house, Wright thoroughly remodeled the main rooms of the ground floor in conformity with the rigorous dictums of his modern style, and designed the dining room sideboard, table and chairs.

The above commentary was excerpted from Guide to Frank Lloyd Wright & Prarire School Architecture in Oak Park by Paul E. Sprague (published 1986). The Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation Trust Book Catalog offers a selection of guidebooks which can be ordered online.

http://www.oprf.com/flw/Copeland.html --
Copyright © 1996-2001 Steven Hurder, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED