Peter A. Beachy House (1906)
238 Forest Avenue

Northast view from Forest Avenue
This impressive brick and stucco residence was erected for banker Peter A. Beachy, who commisioned Wright to "remodel" the former gothic cottage that stood on this spot! The Beachy House is oriented at right angles to the street in order to utilize a part of the pre-existing foundation.

Southeast view from Forest Avenue
The open gables of the roofs resemble the gables of a number of reesidences built by Wright around the turn of the century (across the street is the Nathan G. Moore House.) Many other details relate to other buildings by Wright in 1906; for example, the the square panes of glass supported by wooden mullions and the three part window of the ground floor tie the house firmly to its period of design.

The above commentary was excerpted from Guide to Frank Lloyd Wright & Prarire School Architecture in Oak Park by Paul E. Sprague (published 1986). The Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation Trust Book Catalog offers a selection of guidebooks which can be ordered online. --
Copyright © 1996-2001 Steven Hurder, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED